Thursday, November 4, 2010

La Befana Miniature / Ornament of eBay tonight

La Befana

According to Italian legend, La Befana was a witch living at the time of the birth of Jesus. The three wise men were on their way to Bethlehem, when they invited La Befana to come along. She was busy with her housework and declined. Later, once she had finished her cleaning, she set off on her broomstick with toys for the GesĂș Bambino (Baby Jesus). However, she could not find the Three Kings and soon lost her way. Italian children believe that La Befana is still looking for Baby Jesus, and on the eve of the Epiphany(January 6th), she flies down the chimney of each house, and leaves gifts in the children’s shoes or Stockings which are left by the fireplace.

I have always enjoyed creating "La Befana" during the holidays. She can be used as a ornament or Flying (hanging) above your Christmas dollhouse. Total length of broom is 7" and height is only 3" (Top of package in sack)
She starts on eBay tonight three day auction.
Happy Holidays!!!




5 comments:

Ann said...

I've never heard of the story of La Befana... its very interesting. And your vision of her is very sweet!

Unknown said...

Beautiful story and I just love your version of her - 6th of Jan is my Birthday so maybe she will visit me one day! ;)

EV Miniatures said...

I wish I could collect every one of your kitchen witches.. This is one of my favorites.
Ericka

Anonymous said...

I'm Sicilian and learned a slightly different version. She pretty much blew off the talks of baby Jesus and it wasn't till she saw the three kings traveling that she took off in panic to every home because she didn't know where to go.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful...so bummed i did not see her earlier...I have been looking all over for La Befana for my italian friend as a gift... Will you be making any more?